Dropping Charges in Domestic Violence Related Offense
The St. Charles Parish District Attorney’s Office takes all matters related to Domestic Violence seriously. As the legal representative to the citizens of St. Charles Parish, we want you to know the following:
- Any ARREST or CHARGES related to Domestic Abuse Battery are brought by the State of Louisiana, not the victim in the matter.
- The Sheriff’s Office has a legal obligation to ARREST based on their observations and investigation.
Prior to discussions, or consideration of dropping the charges, the District Attorney has instituted a policy that must to be adhered to. That policy is as follows:
- The person being sought or charged with an offense related to DOMESTIC ABUSE violence must have been arrested.
- The District Attorney’s Office must be in possession of the initial report from the Sheriff’s Office. This usually takes 10 days from the date of arrest.
- The victim in the matter must contact the Metropolitan Center at 504-837-5400 to arrange for a free counseling session.
- After the counseling session has been completed, an appointment must be made with the Division investigator handling your matter by calling 985-783-6263.
- An in-person interview must take place at the District Attorney’s Office. You will required to show ID and present the letter to the investigator.
- Even after completing steps 1-5, understand that the decision to drop this case rests solely within the discretion of the St. Charles Parish District Attorney’s Office.
- Signing a Withdrawal of Charges form does not affect any stay away order, or future court dates, and you may still be compelled to testify if subpoenaed by the State.
Office of the District Attorney
Victim Assistance Coordinator
Tel. (985) 785-4075
Louisiana Crime Victims Reparations
Tel. (225) 925-4437
Toll Free (888) 684-2846
Louisiana Automated Victim Notification System
Toll Free (866) 528-6748
Department of Corrections Crime Victims Services Bureau
P.O. Box 94304, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9304
Tel. (225) 342-6223
Toll free (888) 342-6110
15045 LA 18 (River Road)
Hahnville, LA 70057
The Victims Assistance Division is located on the 2nd floor of the courthouse.
Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.